Dr. Alicia D.D. Spoor
Audiologist & President, Designer Audiology
- Gallaudet University (2002-2006)
- Doctorate in Audiology (Au.D.)
- Masters of Science (M.S.) in Audiology
- Michigan State University (1998-2002)
- Bachelors of Art (B.A.) in Audiology and Speech Sciences
Dr. Alicia D.D. Spoor’s (she/her) professional career has been firmly focused on assisting people of all ages. She began working at the Mayo Clinic in Arizona in 2005 while earning her doctorate of audiology degree. Upon graduation, Dr. Spoor accepted a full-time position as an audiology doctor with the Mayo Clinic’s cochlear implant and hearing aid teams. She later moved to Maryland and worked as an audiologist in two local practices, providing a range of services to patients, including tinnitus diagnosis and management, hearing aid programming and fitting, and custom earmold fittings.
Dr. Spoor has subjective tinnitus, which leads her to treat patients the way she would want to be treated. Designer Audiology was born out of Dr. Spoor’s passion for delivering person-focused audiological care to her patients.
Special Skills/Professional Memberships
- Academy of Doctors of Audiology – Advocacy Chair and Past President
- Maryland Academy of Audiology – Legislative Chair and Past President
- American Sign Language (ASL) knowledge
- Cerumen (Earwax) Management Training
- Tinnitus Management and Retraining Therapy
- Assessment and Fitting of Assistive Listening Devices (ALDs)
Awards and Recognitions
- Outstanding Alumni, College of Communication Arts and Sciences, Michigan State University, 2021
- Elite Hearing Network – Advancing the Conversation, 2019
- Leading Women, The Daily Record, 2016
- VIP List: Very Important Professionals Successful by 40, The Daily Record (Baltimore), 2015
- Oticon Focus on People award Hearing Care Practitioner finalist, 2015
- Craig W. Johnson Advocacy Award, Academy of Doctors of Audiology, 2015
Julia Rose, B.A.
Doctor of Audiology Intern
Julia Rose, B.A. (she/her) is a third-year Doctor of Audiology (Au.D.) student at Western Michigan University (WMU). She earned her undergraduate Bachelor of Arts degree in Linguistics at Rice University in Houston, Texas. Mrs. Rose was inspired to pursue a career in audiology to conduct meaningful work in a profession related to language and hearing. Throughout professional school, Julia discovered her love for research and developed a research interest in how individuals understand speech in noisy environments. She worked as a research assistant investigating how changes in the pitch of sentences affect one’s ability to understand sentences in noise. Mrs. Rose also completed a research traineeship at Boys Town National Research Hospital in Nebraska. Julia’s doctoral research project evaluated how vowels and consonants are affected differently by different types of noise. As a researcher and clinician, Mrs. Rose is passionate about helping people of all ages communicate to the best of their ability in difficult environments.
Patient Care Coordinator
Doctor of Audiology Intern
Darshan Patel (he/him) is a fourth-year undergraduate student at the University of Maryland College Park. He will be receiving a Bachelor of Science Degree in Public Health Science and a Bachelor’s in Information Science, looking to apply to medical school in the following year. Mr.Patel will be joining as a Patient Care Coordinator, welcoming and assisting patients. Darshan has volunteered at multiple community health fairs and COVID-19 testing sites, assisting patients with the utmost care and quality. He is dedicated to helping others and looks forward to a career in medicine in the future.
Now that you’ve met the team, take a look at the services offered by Designer Audiology.